How to determine the amount of unconditional basic income (UBI) ?
The definition states:
UBI should guarantee existence and allow participation in society.
- will be different in each country according to the cost of living
- will be adjusted periodically to take into account the evolution of prices and possibly other parameters
- children probably will get less than adults
Rules should be simple to avoid administrative overhead. Reduction of bureaucracy is one of the aims of UBI.
It's acceptable that certain persons get "too much" and can save some money or ...
The democratic process to determine the amount will be useful because important questions will be discussed
- Distinguish 'luxury' and needs. What is needed to live with dignity?
- Determine needs not limited to simple survival. For example participation in cultural, political life, ...
- Are we ready for generosity? In case of doubt will we fix UBI at a relatively high level?
The aim is to arrive at a sum which guarantees existence and allows participation the life of society.
It'is possible to pay an allocation which covers needs partly during a transitional phase.
Even a small amount already brings advantages
- Possibility of accepting a part time job or a badly remunerated but rewarding job which you really love.
- Possibility to start studies. It will be necessary to fill the gap with savings, student allocations, holiday jobs, ...
- +- the same advantages as a complete UBI but with some limitations
UBI will replace numerous payments entirely or partly. Payments linked to unpredictable specific needs (e.g. health insurance) should not be abolished.